Beta Testing Siamond

Siamond

Beta Testing Siamond

Postby Siamond » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Hey Bo,

Quite some work put in this open source project, this is cool. I did a few tests with the current version, here are various (hopefully constructive) comments. I'll refrain for making comments exceeding the scope of the existing main page (let's catch up first!).

* BUG: The Sign-in link doesn't work. And a link to the cFIREsim forum is missing.

* REQUEST: Cosmetics need quite some work, to be on par with the existing main page. Among other things (colors/etc), I liked the idea of the "Run Simulation" column on the right side, avoiding up to scroll down to go find the corresponding button.

* REQUEST: It is kind of neat to see the simulation results displayed as a box overlay on the main page (the current version opens a new tab), but this is actually not fully practical. We can't see the parameters we used any more. It's harder to compare side-to-side two simulations with just one parameter changing. At the minimum, maybe make the box overlay "floating" (easy to drag around, so that we can check the parameters). And maybe add a "duplicate" button allowing to create a new tab, with the very exact same parameters as entered in the first tab (to allow a specific change and an easy comparison without having to re-enter everything).

* BUG: Spending Method "% of portfolio" doesn't display the floor/ceiling parameters in absolute $ like the other variable methods

* BUG: Guyton-Klinger is clearly flawed, the spend trajectory goes up & down in a hectic manner, instead of the nice plateaus one can expect. (I didn't check the outputs of any method against my own Excel table so far)

* REQUEST: I don't fully understand this new 'variable spending' method is (the Z thing), but this is not a proper name - quite confusing

* REQUEST: when using a variable method, hovering over the portfolio cycles makes the "Download CSV" link move down a bit, and it then overlaps with the upper part of the 'Y' axis of the spending chart. Suggest to put the Download CSV text link elsewhere (e.g. at the very top of the display).

* BUG: when selecting "Historical Data - Specific Years" and some years (say 1960 to 1970), the simulation run doesn't take that in account, and seems to redisplay whatever selection was made before (e.g. all years, or specific cycle, etc).

* MISSING FEATURE (top priorities): portfolio & spending stats are sorely missing! So is the ability to save/load a simulation...

Ok, I'll stop there for now...

bo_knows
Site Admin

Re: Beta Testing Siamond

Postby bo_knows » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:27 am

Siamond wrote:Hey Bo,

Quite some work put in this open source project, this is cool. I did a few tests with the current version, here are various (hopefully constructive) comments. I'll refrain for making comments exceeding the scope of the existing main page (let's catch up first!).

* BUG: The Sign-in link doesn't work.

Yup, I'm aware. I have a specific script that redirects the login to the main page, and I didn't want to change it or host a different one. When I make the cFIREsim Open part of the main page, this will be fine. To log in now, you need to click the login page, login, then point your browser back to the open source page, and reload.

And a link to the cFIREsim forum is missing.

Ha! Totally missed that.

* REQUEST: Cosmetics need quite some work, to be on par with the existing main page. Among other things (colors/etc), I liked the idea of the "Run Simulation" column on the right side, avoiding up to scroll down to go find the corresponding button.'

I agree. Adding a button on the sidebar, and making the Run Simulation buttons bigger and more colorful is on the list.

* REQUEST: It is kind of neat to see the simulation results displayed as a box overlay on the main page (the current version opens a new tab), but this is actually not fully practical. We can't see the parameters we used any more. It's harder to compare side-to-side two simulations with just one parameter changing. At the minimum, maybe make the box overlay "floating" (easy to drag around, so that we can check the parameters). And maybe add a "duplicate" button allowing to create a new tab, with the very exact same parameters as entered in the first tab (to allow a specific change and an easy comparison without having to re-enter everything).

You know, I made it that way thinking it was more streamlined, but I never thought about comparing more than 1 simulation. Hmm. I'll have to think about this one a little more.

* BUG: Spending Method "% of portfolio" doesn't display the floor/ceiling parameters in absolute $ like the other variable methods

Ahhh, hmm. This shows floor and ceiling values after you change the "percentage type", but you're right, they should be there all the time for that spending method.

* BUG: Guyton-Klinger is clearly flawed, the spend trajectory goes up & down in a hectic manner, instead of the nice plateaus one can expect. (I didn't check the outputs of any method against my own Excel table so far)

This was known. Someone coded a fix for it that I'm reviewing today. Once I load it to the site, I'll have you check it.

* REQUEST: I don't fully understand this new 'variable spending' method is (the Z thing), but this is not a proper name - quite confusing

This isn't new. It's on the legacy cFIREsim page (it's called "Variable Spending(new)"). You can read about it in the legacy FAQ

* REQUEST: when using a variable method, hovering over the portfolio cycles makes the "Download CSV" link move down a bit, and it then overlaps with the upper part of the 'Y' axis of the spending chart. Suggest to put the Download CSV text link elsewhere (e.g. at the very top of the display).

Good thinking.

* BUG: when selecting "Historical Data - Specific Years" and some years (say 1960 to 1970), the simulation run doesn't take that in account, and seems to redisplay whatever selection was made before (e.g. all years, or specific cycle, etc).

I can't reproduce this. Can you take a few step-by-step screenshots?

* MISSING FEATURE (top priorities): portfolio & spending stats are sorely missing! So is the ability to save/load a simulation...

The ability to load/save is there, you just have to log in (which you seem a bit confused about). Though, the way that the input fields have been changed/consolidated, the new version won't be able to load the old saved ones. People will have to manually type them back in. I hope that doesn't cause TOO much heartburn for people. Stats is almost done. It is for sure a top priority.

Ok, I'll stop there for now...

Haha. No worries. Don't feel like you're overburdening me or anything. I knew this wasn't finished. I'll probably post it live at some point this week after fixing some of these issues, and wait for the flood of reports of new issues.
-Bo (Creator and Admin for cFIREsim)

bo_knows
Site Admin

Postby bo_knows » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Ohhh, you're right about logging in. I was messing with the database stuff right before leaving on the weekend. Oops.

I'll fix it tonight ;)
-Bo (Creator and Admin for cFIREsim)

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:06 pm

bo_knows wrote:
Siamond wrote:* REQUEST: It is kind of neat to see the simulation results displayed as a box overlay on the main page (the current version opens a new tab), but this is actually not fully practical. We can't see the parameters we used any more. It's harder to compare side-to-side two simulations with just one parameter changing. At the minimum, maybe make the box overlay "floating" (easy to drag around, so that we can check the parameters). And maybe add a "duplicate" button allowing to create a new tab, with the very exact same parameters as entered in the first tab (to allow a specific change and an easy comparison without having to re-enter everything).

You know, I made it that way thinking it was more streamlined, but I never thought about comparing more than 1 simulation. Hmm. I'll have to think about this one a little more.

I think you're on something, I'm not asking to come back to the previous way, but this needs to be refined. It is really important to have easy (and visual) ways to compare.

bo_knows wrote:
Siamond wrote:* BUG: Guyton-Klinger is clearly flawed, the spend trajectory goes up & down in a hectic manner, instead of the nice plateaus one can expect. (I didn't check the outputs of any method against my own Excel table so far)

This was known. Someone coded a fix for it that I'm reviewing today. Once I load it to the site, I'll have you check it.

Looks much better now. I'll check the log and the exact values.

bo_knows wrote:
Siamond wrote:* REQUEST: I don't fully understand this new 'variable spending' method is (the Z thing), but this is not a proper name - quite confusing

This isn't new. It's on the legacy cFIREsim page (it's called "Variable Spending(new)"). You can read about it in the legacy FAQ

Ah sorry, I had missed this change in the legacy version. My point remains though, this method needs a proper name... Maybe call it Variable Spending (Z value) for now? And ask the author to find a better name?

bo_knows wrote:
Siamond wrote:* BUG: when selecting "Historical Data - Specific Years" and some years (say 1960 to 1970), the simulation run doesn't take that in account, and seems to redisplay whatever selection was made before (e.g. all years, or specific cycle, etc).

I can't reproduce this. Can you take a few step-by-step screenshots?

This is very easy to reproduce. Log off and close your browser. Re-open it (I tried with both Chrome and Safari). Select specific years, select a starting year like 1960, run the simulation, you will see a blank screen. Come to all historical years, run a simulation, you'll get a proper display. Back to specific years, run a simulation and you will see the all-historical-years display. Bottomline is that the specific-years parameters seem ignored.

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:23 pm

bo_knows wrote:
Siamond wrote:* MISSING FEATURE (top priorities): portfolio & spending stats are sorely missing! So is the ability to save/load a simulation...

The ability to load/save is there, you just have to log in (which you seem a bit confused about). Though, the way that the input fields have been changed/consolidated, the new version won't be able to load the old saved ones. People will have to manually type them back in. I hope that doesn't cause TOO much heartburn for people. Stats is almost done. It is for sure a top priority.

Ok, yes, it works. I don't think it's much of an issue to have to re-enter the data.

REQUEST: after saving a simulation, one has to refresh the page to see it in the list of saved simulations. Any way to improve that? Maybe simply automatically trigger a page refresh?

bo_knows wrote:Haha. No worries. Don't feel like you're overburdening me or anything. I knew this wasn't finished. I'll probably post it live at some point this week after fixing some of these issues, and wait for the flood of reports of new issues.

Let me check the logs first with a few methods. I would strongly suggest to finish reworking the cosmetics before opening the flood... You don't want to turn people away, and somehow cosmetics matter a lot. Also, do add a link to the legacy version on top of the screen...

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:29 pm

bo_knows wrote:
Siamond wrote:* BUG: Spending Method "% of portfolio" doesn't display the floor/ceiling parameters in absolute $ like the other variable methods

Ahhh, hmm. This shows floor and ceiling values after you change the "percentage type", but you're right, they should be there all the time for that spending method.

Ah ok, I understand now why this one is a bit different. Hm, maybe there is an idea to generalize here. But we'll see that later.

REQUEST: remove the default value of 7% for the ceiling. By default, we should have no ceiling. Actually, both floor and ceiling should be set to "no limit" by default.

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:33 pm

REQUEST: One small thing (old request!), please relabel "fees" as "fees/drag"... To make intuitive the way to run a simulation with more pessimistic returns than in the past.

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:37 pm

REQUEST: I know it's like that in the old version, but I don't quite see why running a single year is viewed as an 'investigation', and how is it any different from running a specific year range (of a single year). Let me suggest you consolidate a bit by offering an additional choice in the "Data to Use", something like "Historical Data - Single Cycle".

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Well, I wanted to start checking a few logs, but... I really need the 'specific years' feature to work to compare to my own Excel spreadhseet... :geek:

I tried the single cycle, it works, but... ahem, I found another issue (same issue with a regular all-years simulation):

BUG: nothing happens with the Download CSV box! I tried with both Chrome and Safari.

REQUEST: move the "Download CSV" box right by the "Close" box.

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:55 pm

I never thought about it before, must be the new way of positioning the various fields, but the label "Yearly Spending" really makes little sense whenever anything variable happens on the spending (e.g. no inflation adjustment, variable method, etc).

REQUEST: change the "Yearly Spending" label to "First Year Spending"

While I was on this, I wondered what would be the display for the "Not Inflation-Adjusted" spending method. And I found another bug/request... :mrgreen:

BUG/REQUEST: show the spending for the "Not Inflation-Adjusted" spending method, as it varies. And well, if I were you, I would ALWAYS show the spending, whether it is fixed (flat line) or not.

Return to “cFIREsim Open Source Project”