Beta Testing Siamond

Siamond

Re: Beta Testing Siamond

Postby Siamond » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:04 pm

bo_knows wrote:
Siamond wrote:I tried again, and using default parameters, the same thing occurs. I have a bit of a suspicion that the portfolio value by the end of the year is displayed, instead of the portfolio value at the beginning of the year - not sure though.

The graphs ARE the end of year portfolio numbers, do you think it should show beginning of year? why?

Because... I always did it like that in my own Excel spreadsheets? :lol:

Well, actually, now that you make me think about it, displaying the end of the year sounds perfectly ok. This wasn't intuitive for me, though. When you'll rework help pages, you may want to be explicit about this choice?
Last edited by Siamond on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:14 pm

BUG/REQUEST: I don't quite understand those constraints:
"Start Year must be less than End Year. End Year must be less than current year. Total span of years must be > simulation period."

Why not allow the end year to be equal to the start year? Why not allow an arbitrary range of years? Why not dynamically adjust the simulation period to be shorter if needs be?

Also, it seems to fail when providing a range of 2 years (e.g. 1970 to 1971). It (wrongly) complains about the total span. Then it allows to run the simulation nevertheless (it shouldn't if your constraints aren't respected). Then it displays a blank simulation result. A bit of work needed here! :D

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:35 pm

The multi-tab idea for the various simulations is terrific, love it.

SMALL REQUEST:
1. Display a small "x" button for each Sim, allowing to (individually) get rid of it. So far, each simulation is additive, it would be great to be able to only keep the ones you want on the display.
2. Remove the "Close" button at the bottom of the (multi-tab) simulation display, this is redundant with the "x" at the top-right of the display.

BIGGER REQUEST:
A more fundamental issue though, one has to remember which parameters were used for a given Sim. Minimally, you should probably display the name of the withdrawal method on the sim tab display (maybe as part of the title of the spending graph).

A more general solution probably has to do with a form of save/load. Not sure how to make it simple & intuitive for the end user. Maybe automatically save the parameters associated with a simulation, with a name like "Transient-SimXX". And delete those transient sims from the database next time the user logs out or logs in? Hm, a bit more thought is required here.

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:41 pm

Siamond wrote:I never thought about it before, must be the new way of positioning the various fields, but the label "Yearly Spending" really makes little sense whenever anything variable happens on the spending (e.g. no inflation adjustment, variable method, etc).

REQUEST: change the "Yearly Spending" label to "First Year Spending"

This issue is pending. Besides the historical year problem, the rest has been fixed (nice work!).

bo_knows
Site Admin

Postby bo_knows » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:09 pm

Siamond wrote:BUG/REQUEST: I don't quite understand those constraints:
"Start Year must be less than End Year. End Year must be less than current year. Total span of years must be > simulation period."

Why not allow the end year to be equal to the start year? Why not allow an arbitrary range of years? Why not dynamically adjust the simulation period to be shorter if needs be?

Also, it seems to fail when providing a range of 2 years (e.g. 1970 to 1971). It (wrongly) complains about the total span. Then it allows to run the simulation nevertheless (it shouldn't if your constraints aren't respected). Then it displays a blank simulation result. A bit of work needed here! :D

For this version of cFIREsim, we're going with using the data range as a complete range of data. Meaning, if you choose 1970 to 1971, that's only 2 years worth of data. How can you possibly do a 30yr simulation with 2 years of data? You need to define a data range that is at least equal to the simulation range.
-Bo (Creator and Admin for cFIREsim)

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:54 pm

bo_knows wrote:
Siamond wrote:BUG/REQUEST: I don't quite understand those constraints:

For this version of cFIREsim, we're going with using the data range as a complete range of data. Meaning, if you choose 1970 to 1971, that's only 2 years worth of data. How can you possibly do a 30yr simulation with 2 years of data? You need to define a data range that is at least equal to the simulation range.

Aaah... Those are not the starting years like in the previous version... But the entire period in which the cycles have to fit... Ok, I understand now. This doesn't seem an improvement though? Seems confusing and less practical? What's the rationale for the change?

bo_knows
Site Admin

Postby bo_knows » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:59 pm

I always thought that the "starting year" notation in the previous version was more confusing, and actually have received a few comments to support that in the past. I think an "overall data range" is less confusing. We'll see. If enough people complain, it's an easy change.

Siamond

Postby Siamond » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Siamond wrote:The multi-tab idea for the various simulations is terrific, love it.

SMALL REQUEST:
1. Display a small "x" button for each Sim, allowing to (individually) get rid of it. So far, each simulation is additive, it would be great to be able to only keep the ones you want on the display.
2. Remove the "Close" button at the bottom of the (multi-tab) simulation display, this is redundant with the "x" at the top-right of the display.

BIGGER REQUEST:
A more fundamental issue though, one has to remember which parameters were used for a given Sim. Minimally, you should probably display the name of the withdrawal method on the sim tab display (maybe as part of the title of the spending graph).

A more general solution probably has to do with a form of save/load. Not sure how to make it simple & intuitive for the end user. Maybe automatically save the parameters associated with a simulation, with a name like "Transient-SimXX". And delete those transient sims from the database next time the user logs out or logs in? Hm, a bit more thought is required here.

Ping! Starting by the "small request"... ;)

bo_knows
Site Admin

Postby bo_knows » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Good thoughts. It's easy enough to add an "X" for closing instead of the button.

As for the form inputs. I could very easily make a collapsible box that has all of the form inputs in it, each section also being collapsible so that it doesn't take much space up. There's no need to save the temporary sims in a database. This new version of cFIREsim never actually loads a new page. Each sim is saved in the browser until you hit refresh, or page away.

Return to “cFIREsim Open Source Project”